Friday 12 April 2013

Rust and Bone

Put in charge of his young son, Alain leaves Belgium for Antibes to live with his sister and her husband as a family. Alain's bond with Stephanie, a killer whale trainer, grows deeper after Stephanie suffers a horrible accident.

Suffering and compassion. Marion Cotillard plays Stephanie a killer whale trainer. Marion delivers another outstanding performance in this film. Here I am sitting wondering to myself why she didn't get nominated for an Oscar or supporting actress (I will never know why).Matthias Schoenaerts plays Alain, a father and a ex-boxer also performs a heart-wrenching job in this film. I love the chemistry between these two characters, it's quite confusing, they're always on and off and it's like does he care about her or not? The plot of this movie is really touching, it sends you this kind of "fuck what everyone else thinks" message. This movie has a friends with benefits topic but in the end it works out, as it would. There is a lot of triumph between these main characters, a lot of moments are very surreal, you take a lot in. Another reason I enjoyed the movie was a song that played in one of the scenes, it was really pumping and jamming I literally couldn't stop listening to it once I got home (I'll link the song at the bottom). Matthias character for me was sometimes really annoying because he seemed to portray the stereo type male in films that care about sex and not noticing the important things in life. But you seriously see how big his heart is when he meets Stephanie. Marion's character was a very strong armour type of women, I liked that about her character. She didn't let men get to her because of her physical disability. When I watched the trailer I thought it was about a lady who didn't find the right type of guy in her life and then this guy come's along and changes that. But hell I was completely surprised how different it actually was. I'm glad that they didn't reveal too much of the film in the trailer or else I think I would have gotten bored. Yes you could say this movie is about a woman who is lost, then finally a guy comes along and changes that but it's much more brutal and serious than that.The thing I'm trying to say is there is SO much more to this movie than what the trailer tells us. 

What audience would you recommend this to?
16 and over

Ratings out of 5:




Song: I follow Rivers (Magicians Remix)














Marion Cotillard

Matthias Schoenaerts




No comments:

Post a Comment